Nole, Rafa, Nole’s Girlfriend and Vlade Divac!
Greatest. Tennis. Match. Ever.
As a new father I have about 10 minutes to spare, so I’m going to blog about what’s been on my mind — last night’s EPIC Aussie Open Final between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal. The two fighters went toe-to-toe like to heavyweight sluggers, absorbing killer blow after killer blow in the longest grand slam final and longest Aussie Open game of all time.
The Djoker came out on top in the end, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, but Rafa’s valiant efforts won him a lot of fans. It was a see-sawing battle that shifted momentum numerous times. Just when I thought Rafa was finally going to get over the hump against Nole, Nole fights back to dominate. And just when a Nole victory looked like a mere formality, back comes Rafa. Then there was the brief rain delay which I thought was going to kill Rafa’s momentum, but it only made him stronger. And when it looked like Rafa was going to put it away, back comes Nole again to steal the match from the grasp of defeat. I had no favourite in the match, so I was just glad to be a witness.
Everyone’s talking about this fantastic tennis match, so instead of my usual waffle I’ll just toss in some random thoughts:
- Let’s face it, Nole’s girlfriend, Jelena Ristic, was one of the main reasons so many millions of people stayed up watching the match last night all the way until the end. It certainly was the reason why my blog (which wrote briefly about her once), got so many hits overnight. It was hard not to notice her — the freaking camera zoomed in on her on every single break in the action! Kudos to the television crew for knowing what sells. Nole’s victory is even more amazing considering how difficult it would have been for him to focus on tennis with her around.
- That said, message to the TV crew for next year — go easy on the super slow-mo. Super slow-mo on Jelena Ristic jumping up and down is fine, but super slow-mo on Djoker’s and Rafa’s faces as they crack massive forehands? Not so much.
- Speaking of Jelena, she seems to have embraced the role as tennis’s no. 1 WAG. She always seems to wear cobalt blue, except the dresses are getting more and more expensive. I wonder if she has clothing sponsors.
- Huge surprise last night as I was watching the match. On the odd occasion the camera panned away from Jelena, it landed on a bearded giant behind her that made me do a double-take. Was that the biggest flopper of all-time, Mr Vlade Divac? As it turned out, it was. I have no idea why the retired basketball superstar was in Djokovic’s camp. These Serbian athletes must be real close. Maybe Nole learned some of his flopping mental tactics from Divac.
- What the heck was the deal with the rain delay? Seriously, the thing has a roof. It looks like it might rain. Why take the risk? And how laughably primitive was the ball-boy brigade that wiped down the court on their hands and knees? You would have thought someone (probably Japanese) would have come up with an ingenious contraption to suck all that moisture up in a jiffy.
- Excellent post-match speeches at the award-ceremony too. Rafa was awesome in defeat and super gracious, and the usually amped up Nole was also very kind with his words — both men were probably too tired to do much else. Seeing them handed bottles of water and stools to sit on while that hilarious Korean (?) fella from KIA Motors rambled on said it all. Then again, I felt like I needed to lie down after listening to that guy too.
- Lastly, I just want to reiterate what a pleasure it was to watch the match. These dudes are physical freaks. How can someone crack the ball with so much force while running all over the court for almost 6 hours? That’s just mind-boggling. Especially for someone with bread stick arms like the Djoker. I get a sore wrist from three consecutive two-handed backhands.